Friday, May 18, 2012

JOSH BARNETT & DANIEL CORMIER GILBERT MELENDEZ & JOSH THOMSON FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES


SAN JOSE, Calif. (May 17, 2012) -- The main players took the stage
Thursday in the final press conference before Saturday's STRIKEFORCE:
World Grand Prix Heavyweight Tournament Final when Josh Barnett faces
Daniel Cormier, live on SHOWTIME(r) (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West
Coast) from the HP Pavilion.



The powerful Barnett (31-5), of Fullerton, Calif., has not lost a fight
since 2006 and has submitted or knocked out six consecutive opponents.
The undefeated Cormier (9-0), of San Jose, is one of the most talented
wrestlers in the heavyweight division and is a former star for Oklahoma
State University and the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Team.

                       

Joining the pair Thursday were Gilbert Melendez (20-2), of San
Francisco, and bitter rival Josh Thomson (19-4, 1 NC), of San Jose, who
will fight in a rubber match of their thrilling trilogy as Melendez
looks to defend his STRIKEFORCE World Lightweight Championship.



In other fights on SHOWTIME, Rafael Feijao takes on Mike Kyle and
Nah-Shon Burrell battles Chris Spang. A four-fight preliminary card
televised LIVE on SHOWTIME EXTREME at 8 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West
Coast) will precede the four-fight main card on SHOWTIME.  



Mauro Ranallo will call the action alongside analysts Frank Shamrock and
Pat Miletich with Heidi Androl serving as cageside reporter. The
executive producer is David Dinkins Jr.



What the principal fighters had to say on Thursday:



Josh Barnett:

On whether or not people are discounting his experience:

"I don't care what people say. I see my experience as being the biggest
advantage in this fight. All that experience comes with all the years of
training and all the fights I've had and all the different opponents,
(basically) all the times I've been in the ring as a pro wrestler, as a
fighter. Experience is a pretty easy word to throw around. But I don't
think it's as simple to just say experience. I have to believe
ultimately in everything I do and everything I possess. So it's the same
as before and the same that it's always going to be."



Daniel Cormier:

On whether or not he feels like an underdog:

"Yeah I do. Honestly I do. Josh was a UFC champion and he's done a ton
of things. He's beaten a lot of guys, but I've beaten quite a few of
those guys too and I know I can do pretty well against the other ones,
so I take it in stride. I should be the underdog because of his
experience and his accomplishments, but I'll be ready to go."



Gilbert Melendez:

"After that first fight Josh beat me up pretty good and he helped me
reinvent myself as a fighter. Not only did I learn to take the center
and be a smarter fighter, not get outpointed, but he helped me learn to
take my job seriously. At the time I trained to do my stuff and then
after that fight I treated everything like a real professional. I
structure my training camps now. I train harder. I eat smart. I write
everything out. I treat it like a real profession. It's my career now.
And ever since that loss that's how it's been."



Josh Thomson:

"Not much has changed for me since the second fight. Basically I'm just
following a different game plan. The second time I fought I had to come
off a 15-month layoff so I was just excited to be back in the cage.
Anyone who has seen me fight can tell by the smile on my face that I
enjoy to fight. I love it. So not much has changed, but I'm just going
to change my game plan."



About STRIKEFORCE(r) - www.strikeforce.com

Owned and operated by Forza, LLC, a subsidiary of Zuffa, LLC, which also
owns the Ultimate Fighting Championship(r) brand, STRIKEFORCE(r) is a
world-class mixed martial arts promotion based in Las Vegas, Nev. that
currently holds live events annually across the United States. First
established as a mixed martial arts entity in 2006, STRIKEFORCE now
broadcasts its events live on Showtime(r) Networks, Inc. and has
produced two live, primetime events on the CBS Television Network. With
a growing roster featuring the world's elite competitors, STRIKEFORCE
has cemented its place as a leader in providing quality mixed martial
arts action.



About Showtime Networks Inc.

Showtime Networks Inc. (SNI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of CBS
Corporation, owns and operates the premium television networks
SHOWTIME(r), THE MOVIE CHANNEL(tm) and FLIX(r), as well as the multiplex
channels SHOWTIME 2(tm), SHOWTIME(r) SHOWCASE, SHOWTIME EXTREME(r),
SHOWTIME BEYOND(r), SHOWTIME NEXT(r), SHOWTIME WOMEN(r), SHOWTIME FAMILY
ZONE(r) and THE MOVIE CHANNEL(tm) XTRA. SNI also offers SHOWTIME HD(tm),
THE MOVIE CHANNEL(tm) HD, SHOWTIME ON DEMAND(r) and THE MOVIE
CHANNEL(tm) ON DEMAND. SNI also manages Smithsonian Networks, a joint
venture between SNI and the Smithsonian Institution, which offers
Smithsonian Channel(tm). All SNI feeds provide enhanced sound using
Dolby Digital 5.1. SNI markets and distributes sports and entertainment
events for exhibition to subscribers on a pay-per-view basis through
SHOWTIME PPV(r).

No comments:

Post a Comment