Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chan Sung Jung Looking At Poirier Fight As No. 1 Contender Bout


UFC featherweight ‘The Korean Zombie’ Chan Sung Jung is set to headline his first UFC event this coming Tuesday when he steps into the cage against ‘The Diamond’ Dustin Poirier in Fairfax, Virginia.
Jung has grabbed two memorable victories in 2011, having knocked out Mark Hominick in seven seconds at UFC 140 and submitted Leonard Garcia with the first twister submission in the Octagon.

The Korean hopes for another memorable win against Poirier, feeling that a victory will launch him into the No. 1 contender spot.

Speaking to MMAFighting.com, Jung had this to say about the fight.

Do you think a win over Dustin Poirier should make you the No. 1 contender at 145?
Yes, I think so. I think right now Dustin and I are the main contenders for a fight against Aldo, for a number of reasons, so it makes sense that the winner of our fight would be the next in line for Aldo..



Do you feel as though not enough people talk about you as one of the current top contenders in the weight class?
A lot of people count me out as a top contender in at 145. I still have a lot to prove in the minds of the fans and in my own mind, as well. I want to fight, and beat, the best competition. Once I’ve done that, people will have no doubt about my standing in the division. I want to prove it to myself and to everyone else. Shouldn’t that be the goal of every fighter? To fight the toughest guys, the best guys and show that you’re better than them?

Have you brought in anyone in particular to help you to train for Poirier?
I’ve been working with our team captain, Jang Yong Kim, because he most closely resembles Poirier skill-wise. Other than that, I’ve been working my all around game, because Dustin is such a well-rounded fighter. Ben Henderson stopped by and trained with KTT a few times, too. He is a great guy and a beast in training, so working with a guy like that is only going to help.

The two headline the May 15, 2012 UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier event at the Patriot Center in Fairfax. Their bout will air on FUEL TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment